The process I used for this analog audio to MP3 digital format conversion was:
1. Connect a DV camcorder to the left/right audio out RCA (red and white) plugs in the back of a stereo cassette player.
2. Put a blank tape in the DV camcorder and press record.
3. Play the cassette tape from the stereo cassette player.
4. Connect the DV camcorder to my home Mac and import the tape (video and audio tracks come together) into iMovie.
5. Drag imported clips from the shelf down too the timeline, use the EDIT – SPLIT VIDEO CLIP menu command to trim extra silence off the front and back ends of the recording.
6. Export the movie as an audio-only, AIFF file (in iMovie 4, choose FILE – SHARE – QUICKTIME – EXPERT SETTINGS and select SOUND TO AIFF.
7. Drag the exported AIFF file into the iTunes Library window (to import it into iTunes)
8. Use the free QuickConvert v2.3 Applescript (www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/scripts/scripts02.php?page=1#quickconvert ) to convert the selected AIFF file to MP3 format.
9. Drag the converted MP3 file from the iTunes Library window to the desktop.
10. Share the file via a burned CD or USB keydrive/thumbdrive.
Why convert AIFF to MP3? File size. This audio recording is just less than 15 minutes, in AIFF format it takes up 107 MB, in MP3 format it takes up just under 17 MB. And the sound quality (to my admittedly untrained ear and non-professional audio playback equipment) sounds just great!
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Transfer Saved Minecraft Worlds to Another Computer on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion - 2011
- Tumblr for my 365 Photo Project in 2011 - 2010
- Mark Zuckerburg: Time's Person of the Year - 2010
- US Army Deploying iPhones - 2010
- A focus on high test scores is all you need - 2009
- If gambling is bad for soldiers, isn't it bad for non-military citizens? - 2007
- Wrestling with website registration limits - 2007
- More on Bloom's and student creativity - 2006