– I did a street-level flyover in Lubbock from my house to the TTU College of Education, where I work– tracing the commute path I usually follow each morning.
– I zoomed in on my old neighborhood in Manhattan, Kansas, and did a flyover from my old house up to the high school.
– I zoomed in from above to the US Air Force Academy, and checked out the buildings in the cadet area.
– I headed south and looked for Mexico City and the Valley of Mexico, as well as the two 17,000+ volcanoes that are south of the city: Popo and Ixta.
I included some locators for my freshman and senior squadron areas at USAFA, other spots in the cadet area, and the location of our College of Education building at TTU. No, I did not include a map to my house, tho that is quite easy for anyone to do using this resource and public address info.
The satellite imagery of Texas Tech here in Lubbock is dated pretty closely by the fact that our College of Education building, new in 2002, was not yet complete at the time the (current) satellite images were taken. You can see the construction is still underway on the English/Philosophy building across the courtyard from our building. So I estimate these satellite images of TTU in Lubbock were taken in 2001.
GOOGLE MAPS IS AN AMAZING RESOURCE!!! And it is free. There are so many potential educational uses I can think of. And this is just in beta, what are resources like this going to be like in 10 years?!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Comparing Sharing Spaces: Google Classroom and SeeSaw - 2017
- The Post-PC Age is Upon Us - 2013
- Teaching with an iPad in Minnesota About Playing With Media - 2012
- How to automatically publish blog posts to a Facebook page - 2011
- Painting with Light! LCD Pens, Circuits and Creativity - 2010
- No iPad Keynote Importing for Keynote '08 - 2010
- Quickly make a PowerPoint slideshow with 200+ photos - 2010
- Help make EduBloggerCon09 fantastic: Join the live conversation Saturday! - 2009
- Podcast243: Solutions for High School Reform Efforts in the United States (Part 1) - 2008
- Meaningfully addressing underage alcohol drinking - 2008