His copyright statement in the book reads:
© 2005 Eric von Hippel Exclusive rights to publish and sell this book in print form in English are licensed to The MIT Press. All other rights are reserved by the author. An electronic version of this book is available under a Creative Commons license. MIT Press books may be purchased at special quantity discounts for business or sales promotional use. For information, please email email@example.com or write to Special Sales Department, The MIT Press, 5 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142. Set in Stone sans and Stone serif by The MIT Press. Printed and bound in the United States of America.
This is the first instance of a print book published by a major company like MIT Press I have seen with this type of license. I think this is the future of publishing… Not sure how much this will curb income for Hippel and MIT Press, but it certainly will benefit the distribution of his ideas in the marketplace!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Best Stylus for iPad Drawing and Sketchnoting - 2016
- Cool Stuff Rachel & I Learned in Minecraft This Weekend - 2014
- Additional Books to Read on the POW/MIA Situation in Southeast Asia - 2012
- Connect your laptop to a TV - 2011
- Music by Yukon, Oklahoma students aboard the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus - 2010
- Apple laptop battery cycle charges and warranty coverage - 2010
- Always moderate membership in educational networking sites - 2010
- AT&T billing finally figured out I don't work for them anymore - 2009
- Day 1 of SMART Notebook training at CSD - 2009
- Sharing Google Reader feeds by tag and reflections on information flow management - 2008