Groklaw is reporting that HP is shipping Ubuntu Linux on its notebooks and desktops sold in Africa. How interesting that what I would consider a cutting edge computer operating system development is happening first in the developing world, not Silicon Valley. I want this to happen here too, in North America, and I think it will before too long.
Michael Dell, are you watching and reading? I might actually order a Dell (or a Toshiba Tablet PC) If I could get it from the manufacturer with Linux and OpenOffice. I bet many others would too.
I would really like to speak directly with someone involved in the MIT $100 laptop project later this academic year. Both the trend of shipping new computer systems with Linux preinstalled, and the $100 laptop initiative, are things that WILL happen I think, it is just a matter of when.
So what is your school district CIO doing about open source operating systems? Most likely, not much. But they should be. To do otherwise is fiscally irresponsible.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Disclosure Statements, EdTech Ambassador Programs and Digital Citizenship - 2017
- Join Free @STEMseeds Webinar Saturday Sept 13th at 10:30 am Central - 2014
- Long Term Sub Needed: Positive Tomorrows of Oklahoma City - 2014
- iOS Content Creators Rejoice: iMovie, Pages, Keynote and More FREE on New Devices! - 2013
- Why Playing with Media and Mapping Media Matters - 2013
- Encouraging Pre-Service Educators to Share Work Publicly Online - 2012
- Lessons Learned from WordPress Blog Upgrades - 2012
- Using Film in Any Class - 2011
- Criteria for moderating comments on a viral video - 2009
- The Educational Technology Influence Nexus - 2008