Marco Torres, one of the most dynamic and creative teachers you’ll ever meet– who is amazingly passionate about helping kids learn and innovate, was a presenter today at the Horseshoe Bay Leadership Institute. To get a small taste of Marco’s passion, check out the article and video clips Edutopia has put online about him, his students, and his approach toward teaching. This six part video interview with Marco also includes great insights from him on effectively using multimedia in the classroom.
Unfortunately I missed Marco’s preso today, but I am checking out some of the excellent resources he posted on the institute blog:
- SFETT Student Work
- Expanding the Concept of Literacy by Elizabeth Daley, Dean of the School of Cinema and Television at USC (PDF)
- US youths use internet to create (Great BBC article from last Friday)
Amidst equally important and valid discussions about protecting students from online dangers and guarding the iWall, we need to be reading, listening to and watching content like this. And we need to share the messages with other teachers and parents in our communities.
Literacy is not what it was yesterday. Our teaching needs to change. Marco models teaching which helps students acquire digital literacy skills in authentic, engaging ways that make a huge difference. 🙂
Doesn’t every child in these United States deserve a teacher as good as Marco? You bet they do. Go Marco! Keep up the great work!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Help Students Use Icons and Photos in Narrated Slideshows - 2018
- Add Kindle MOBI eBook to WordPress Online Store - 2014
- Using Minecraft for Virtual Simulations & Oklahoma Ag in the Classroom - 2011
- Improving Reading, Writing and Critical Thinking Skills with Media - 2011
- Why Veteran's Day is November 11th - 2011
- Video Tributes to Oklahoma and Kansas Military Veterans - 2010
- Digital Citizenship in Libraries: Constructively Leveraging the Power of the Social Web - 2009
- A reminder from Linus about how important personal recognition can be - 2009
- WikiPedia to go (an offline download for schools) - 2008
- Making the case for a safe, moderated learning community for Oklahoma schools - 2008