We can’t (and probably don’t want to on balance) turn the clock back to a 19th century paradigm of exclusively text-based literacy. But what is the real “value added” from multimedia-intense instruction which may border on edutainment? This session (presented at the Texas Computer Education Association’s annual conference in Austin, Texas on February 9, 2005) takes a critical look at educational technology: the myths and the realities of technology’s impact on student learning, and challenges teachers to focus on strategies which develop authentic literacy skills needed in the 21st Century.
Program Length: 53 min, 19 sec
File size: 12.2 MB
Show notes for this podcast include:
- Online presentation slides for this session are available.
- This presentation is also available as a streamed video synchronized to the presentation slides (scroll down to the 8th session, which is mine and click on it to view in your web browser)
- Recommended reading for educators
- The Alliance for Childhood
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Lessons Learned Using Nearpod Presentations on iPads with Students - 2013
- Introducing 4th and 5th Graders to Scratch Software Possibilities - 2012
- A High School Student Tweet Heard 'Round Kansas - 2011
- 2011 #k12online Conference Starts Monday - 2011
- How many screens at Thanksgiving? - 2010
- WatchKnow vets educational YouTube videos - 2009
- Examples of digital storytelling types - 2008
- Sharing purchased iPhone applications and iTunes songs with family members - 2008
- Learn and share about OLPC - 2008
- Successful XO Laptop Firmware Upgrade - 2008