We can’t (and probably don’t want to on balance) turn the clock back to a 19th century paradigm of exclusively text-based literacy. But what is the real “value added” from multimedia-intense instruction which may border on edutainment? This session (presented at the Texas Computer Education Association’s annual conference in Austin, Texas on February 9, 2005) takes a critical look at educational technology: the myths and the realities of technology’s impact on student learning, and challenges teachers to focus on strategies which develop authentic literacy skills needed in the 21st Century.
Program Length: 53 min, 19 sec
File size: 12.2 MB
Show notes for this podcast include:
- Online presentation slides for this session are available.
- This presentation is also available as a streamed video synchronized to the presentation slides (scroll down to the 8th session, which is mine and click on it to view in your web browser)
- Recommended reading for educators
- The Alliance for Childhood
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Lessons Learned Using Nearpod Presentations on iPads with Students - 2013
- Introducing 4th and 5th Graders to Scratch Software Possibilities - 2012
- A High School Student Tweet Heard 'Round Kansas - 2011
- 2011 #k12online Conference Starts Monday - 2011
- How many screens at Thanksgiving? - 2010
- WatchKnow vets educational YouTube videos - 2009
- Examples of digital storytelling types - 2008
- Sharing purchased iPhone applications and iTunes songs with family members - 2008
- Learn and share about OLPC - 2008
- Successful XO Laptop Firmware Upgrade - 2008