The Primary Access project and website from the University of Virginia is a great example of many things, including:
- The power of the web to serve as a platform for digital storytelling, both in authoring original and communicating finished digital stories.
- A creative way to empower digital storytellers but also conform to existing copyright restrictions.
- The type of technology uses we should be putting into the hands of students and teachers at all levels, to create and communicate.
Click the see it in action link to test drive. This is amazingly powerful. Used images are just linked from the web engine, they are not actually downloaded, so the rendering is happening over the Internet on the fly. Links can be added from a flickr account as well as images already in the archive. The developers are actually working with Ken Burns as a consultant on the project, along with institutions including the Smithsonian, so that should give anyone familiar with digital storytelling an idea of the quality and level of this initiative.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Reflections on Learning from the OU Innovation Hub - 2017
- Laptops and iPhones Can Eat Cellular LTE Data FAST - 2014
- iOS4 Tip Screencast: Closing Apps Open in the Background #edapp - 2010
- iPhone LIVE Webcasting to UStream, Tiered iPhone Data Plans, Exaflood Rumors - 2009
- Why aren't we using the real world? - 2009
- VoiceThread compared to GarageBand - 2008
- Tips for digital story evaluation - 2008
- A great way to catch up on your edublog reading - 2008
- Home at last! - 2007
- 2006 Edublog Awards - 2006