This excerpt from the first Amazon.com editorial review caught my attention:
“My life saved my life,” he [Frank McCourt] writes. “My students didn’t know there was a man up there escaping a cocoon of Irish history and Catholicism, leaving bits of that cocoon everywhere.” At the beginning of his career it had never occurred to him that his own dismal upbringing in the slums of Limerick could be turned into a valuable lesson plan. Indeed, his formal training emphasized the opposite. Principals and department heads lectured him to never share anything personal. He was instructed to arouse fear and awe, to be stern, to be impossible to please–but he couldn’t do it. McCourt was too likable, too interested in the students’ lives, and too willing to reveal himself for their benefit as well as his own.
I agree that teachers should share and leverage their own personal experiences in the classroom when it is appropriate and potentially effective to help engage, mentor, and teach students. Sounds like McCourt has some sage wisdom which I (as well as many others likely) would do well to read and and heed!
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Self-Hosting Oral History Audio (or Lectures) with Free Podcast Generator Software - 2013
- FREE Playing with Media Meetups in Oklahoma City in 2013 - 2012
- Learning Culture Change the Critical Focus for iPad 1 to 1 Projects - 2010
- Learning about the iOS app Stickershop from a 7 year old #edapps - 2010
- Hedonism, Politics, Authoritarianism, Twitter and Political Change - 2009
- Sausage Balls: The Culinary Delight of the Holiday Season - 2007
- ClaimID and website verification - 2007
- Riya and Photo Face Recognition - 2005
- Wavepad and Rosegarden - 2005
- Podcast28: Educational Banners and Resolutions for 2006 - 2005