The center’s motto is LISTEN DEEPLY. TELL STORIES. Watching only one or two of the videos on their “history” page will convince you of their motto’s veracity. In our fast paced, task-pinging society, we need to listen deeply and tell stories now more than ever.
Have you met someone who has no interest what-so-ever in storytelling, when the stories in question are compelling? I don’t think I have or ever will, barring a physical condition which prohibits listening or comprehension. As human beings we’re hard-wired for stories and storytelling.
Tools like iMovie and PhotoStory are free. What are public school students and teachers around the globe waiting for? Oh that’s right, someone told them the purpose of their existance was to prepare for and take standardized exams.
Too bad they lied. Even sadder, it is too bad the teachers and students believed them.
Some of our primary purposes in life are to listen deeply and tell stories, as we cultivate relationships with others and develop our own skill sets. Isn’t it about time the schools around your neighborhood changed their priorities?
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- You Must Watch This: We Need Educational Change But Not High Stakes Accountability - 2014
- Pooh's Special Friend Week: VoiceThread and YouTube on an iPad - 2011
- Donate to the Red Cross for Haiti Relief - Be wise and tech saavy - 2010
- Lecturecasting on a Shoestring with a Macbook, Ustream, CamTwist, MPEG Streamclip and Blip.tv - 2010
- Federal or State Responsibility for Education and Inequitable Education Funding Formulas - 2009
- Organizer Mac software, California Dreamin' (MacWorld08) - 2008
- Gang signed vandalism at my Oklahoma City parking garage last night - 2008
- Verify software is reputable and malware free before downloading - 2008
- Last 2 blogs moved to Siteground! - 2008
- Addressing the lurkers - 2007