Podcasting in higher education contexts can be organized into the following categories. I have included linked examples of each, more can be found on http://del.icio.us/wfryer/higheredpodcasts.
- Course-Casting: Course Content Delivery, Empowering Students with asynchronous/non-interactive content, aka podcast lectures (Physics 415: Thermal and Statistical Physics by Dr Carlson at Purdue, Faculty lectures in Stanford on iTunes)
- Interactive and Reflective Q&A: Dr David B. Miller’s iCube podcasts (undergrad intro psychology)
- Storytelling and Public Relations: College Public Relations (Research at Chicago, Texas Tech College of Education Podcasts)
- Virtual Conference/Symposium Resources: Extending a Conference or Symposium Dialog/Conversations (Duke Podcasting Symposium, UBC Podcasts, UNL Podcasts, Washington College of Law Podcasts, University of Virginia Podcasts, Podcastercon2006)
- Student Projects: Permiting students to demonstrate their understanding, knowledge and skills through an original podcast (iGeneration from the Univ of Western Australia, The Teacher as Leader: An Interview with John Dewey)
Gardner Campbell’s Educause review article “There’s Something in the Air: Podcasting in Education” is available in webpage, PDF, and mp3 audio formats, and is also an excellent resource on the pedagogy of podcasting in higher education.
If you know of other good examples not listed here, please comment and share the links! I am particularly interested in other examples of highered student project podcasts.
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Improving Student Writing Using iPads - 2014
- Use Appointment Slots on a Google Calendar - 2012
- Creative Math Word Problems about Rock Climbing & Mountaineering #favlesson - 2012
- Underwhelmed by iBooks Author Software - 2012
- A Creative Professional Resume on Prezi - 2011
- Considering Options to Reduce Monthly Wireless Bills - 2011
- Beatings, Electric Shock and Death for Internet Addicted Chinese Youth - 2010
- Why don't more teachers integrate technology more effectively? - 2010
- Mind blowing photo resolution from the inauguration - 2009
- Feedburner stats drop after Google account merge - 2009