In December, Jeff Allen helped put on a statewide videoconferencing event in Washington where students gave clues about their community to other participants, who then had 30 minutes to try and figure out where each student group lived.
What fun! And what a great use of disruptive technology (classroom videoconferencing) to promote learning, critical thinking, problem solving, as well as good times. My own state of Texas has started some statewide videoconferencing events hosted by TETN, called “Texas Connects.” Students in our schools need to be doing MORE events like these!
My hat is off to Jeff and others who helped put on the “Where in Washington” event, as well as Carol Willis and other Texas state videoconferencing leaders. Virtually every school district has videoconferencing equipment, in many cases these are used intensely for high school credit courses– but events like these that can involve students in elementary and middle school as well seem to be rare. This would be a great grant writing opportunity for university folks– we need more organizations facilitating these types of collaborative events!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Use Celly to Setup a Free Text Messaging Group Chat - 2013
- Using TweetChat to Follow Educational Twitter Chats - 2013
- First Lesson in Minecraft (and why I waited a year to ask my son to teach me) - 2013
- Samsung Galaxy Note Smartphone - 2012
- Twitter - A Powerful Collaboration Tool for Teachers by Eric Langhorst - 2012
- Digital Storytelling by Anne Daugherty - 2012
- 21st Century Classrooms: What does it take to Start? by Dyane Smokorowski #mace11 - 2011
- XO Laptops coming to Birmingham, Alabama - 2008
- MySpace education - 2006
- CapMac Presentation featured in February 2005 newsletter - 2005