Dr. Mike Ribble recently defended his dissertation at the College of Education at Kansas State University on the topic of Digital Citizenship. In this interview with Mike, he defines digital citizenship, discusses its importance in the K-12 curriculum, and outlines digital citizenship resources he has created online and for print publication. Just as the traditional U.S. school curriculum has sought to help students understand both their rights and responsibilities as citizens of a democratic republic, Mike contends students should learn about their digital rights as well as responsibilities in 21st century society. These topics include Digital Safety, but also extend to Digital Etiquette, Communication, Education, Access, Commerce, and Security.
Program Length: 25 min, 04 sec
File size: 6.0 MB
Show notes for this podcast include:
- Digital Citizenship website @ KSU
- Digital Citizenship Audit and Rubric – THE Journal article (PDF)
- Digital Citizenship: Addressing Appropriate Technology Behavior – ISTE Learning and Leading article (PDF)
- Digital Citizenship: Focus Questions for Implementation – ISTE Learning and Leading article (PDF)
- Technology Driver’s License – District Administration magazine (PDF)
- Developing Ethical Direction – ISTE Learning and Leading article (PDF)
- Teaching Digital Citizenship: When will it become a Priority for 21st Century Schools? – School Business Affairs magazine article (PDF)
- Contact Mike Ribble: mribble at ksu dot edu
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Preparing for a Stopmotion Art Project - 2014
- Remove Background Audio Noise with WavePad - 2012
- Plant Your Flag in the Sand and Claim It - 2011
- Descending into the clouds at sunset (video) - 2011
- Demonstrate iPhone / iPod Touch Applications with ScreenSplitr / DemoGod - 2010
- Just how many electronic whiteboards are school leaders buying? - 2009
- Big Chief Tablets ahead? - 2009
- Smart Technologies software request via Twitter - 2009
- Managing information streams in the attention economy - 2008
- Paying teachers for high student test scores is BAD policy - 2008