Pearson School Systems is in the eSchoolNews headlines twice this week for acquisitions of other companies and major products. The first article is about Pearson’s purchase of Canadian-based Chancery Software, a major SIS (student information system) company. The second article focuses on Pearson’s purchase of PowerSchool, Apple Computer’s student information system that has been selected for awards by both Technology and Learning and eSchoolNews. According to the article and Apple’s own press release, Pearson will be developing content for the iPod and the iTunes Music Store as part of the deal.
From my perspective, this latter concession probably represents a much more important financial landmark for Apple than continuing promotion and sales of Powerschool internally would. The educational future will increasingly include podcasts– and getting a major educational publisher like Pearson to embrace both iTunes and podcasting is a huge deal.
It will be interesting to keep watching Pearson. In a lot of commercial contexts today, we see the big fish getting bigger– continuing to eat the smaller fish. This is happening in banking, telecommunications, and the commercial education market. Whether or not this trend is a good thing for students, teachers, administrators, and consumers / citizens in general remains to be seen I think– but the trend seems undeniable.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Meet MacBookMaestro.com - A Free Digital Badge Powered Learning Site - 2013
- Open Learning, Outside Learning, Leading Learning, & Building Learning - 2013
- Removing Red Eye with the iPhone App Photo Wizard - 2012
- Kansas Educators: Become a Storychaser this summer in Haysville, Greenbush or Andover! - 2011
- Steve Jobs at WWDC2011: The Truth is in the Cloud! - 2011
- Digital Citizenship video resources from Hoover, Alabama Schools and Common Sense Media - 2010
- Incredible tornado footage - 2009
- Podcast158: Digitally Informed School Leadership for the 21st Century - 2007
- MS Office 2007 Beta and Groove - 2006