This evening I had the remarkable experience of talking with educators and several business people across the United States and across the planet in Australia via a free skypecast– discussing some of the ideas, technologies, and issues raised at NECC 2006 in San Diego this past week. We used the free Skypecasts web service, which launched in May 2006, to connect people from Alabama, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Michigan, southern California, and the Gold Coast of Australia in this conversation. Thanks to someone who joined us (who did not reveal his name) I was able to learn about the eCamm Network software program Call Recorder for Skype, about 20 minutes into our discussion. I had not recorded a skypecast initiated with the skypecast website before, and my Audio Hijack Pro program was not working. Thankfully Call Recorder worked like a charm after I installed it and re-entered the skype discussion. My apologies if the conversation is a bit disjointed, because of some technical problems getting Brett into the call from Australia we lost a bit of the dialog. If you have feedback or comments about this Walking on Fiber skypecast, please leave them here. We will do this again, and you will be welcome to join us! The invitation will be posted here, so check back often!
Program Length: 1 hr, 42 min, 09 sec
File size: 23.4 MB
Show notes for this podcast include:
- Skypecasts: A new way to have conversations with people across the world who share your interests.
- Brandi Caldwell’s 12th grade English class blog (Alabama)
- Brandi Caldwell’s professional blog: It’s All Geek To Me
- Brandi’s senior English class’ wiki
- Brandi’s teacher blogging wiki (for professional development)
- Brian Crosby’s blog: Learning is Messy
- Brett Moller’s blog: 21st Century Educator
- eCamm Network Call Recorder for Skype (Mac only)
- Alabama Best Practices Center (group Brandi is involved with)
- Promethean whiteboards and collaborative classroom solutions
- Tutor.com: A reasonably priced service for live, online student tutoring
- Tor: An anonymous Internet communication system (can be used to use Skype and IM on school networks normally blocking those technologies)
- Thoughts on Rainforests (Brett’s elementary class blog in Australia last year)
- Microsoft Education Competencies
- Thoughts on school reform from Ian Jukes, Barry Vercoe and David Thornburg from the NECC 2006 webcast
- One Laptop Per Child: The MIT $100 laptop project
- Intel’s planned $400 laptop for students
- The blog post that initiated this conversation: NECC Ideas and Technologies: Global Skypecast Invitation and WetPaint Wiki
- NECC 2006 webcasts
- Soople: A graphical interface for powerful, advanced Google searches
- Podcast47: In Defense of Encyclopedia Britannica (Nature magazine controversy with Wikipedia)
- Fiber to the home: AT&T’s U-verse product
- Cisco News via podcasts
- Cisco: Overview of the SIP technology standard
- Directory of Australian Edubloggers
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Email Multiple Photos from an iPad to A Blogger Site - 2013
- Nebraska Science Teachers Model "Go Outside" Best Practices with Students - 2011
- Quick-edit Videography with iMovie for iPad - 2011
- Surviving the Liberian Civil War - A Personal Story - 2010
- Google Images now integrates Creative Commons Searches - 2009
- The challenge: Record "Geek Rockstar" - 2008
- Podcast262: Powerful Ingredients for Digitally Interactive Learning (MODLA 2008 Keynote) - 2008
- Leverage Multimedia in Your Online Courses by Eric Fudge (integrating SCORM within your LMS) - 2008
- links for 2008-07-09 - 2008
- Graphic design fun - 2007