Guy Kawasaki shares some good insights about what things students should be learning in schools today, that most teachers probably weren’t taught in his post “Ten Things to Learn This School Year.” These include:
- How to talk to your boss.
- How to survive a meeting thatÃ¢Â€Â™s poorly run.
- How to run a meeting.
- How to figure out anything on your own. [THIS IS PROBABLY MY PERSONAL FAVORITE OF THE LIST.]
- How to negotiate.
- How to have a conversation.
- How to explain something in thirty seconds. [BOY DO MANY ACADEMICS EVER HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS!]
- How to write a one-page report.
- How to write a five-sentence email.
- How to get along with co-workers.
- How to use PowerPoint.
- How to leave a voicemail.
OK, so the list includes more than ten things, but I think it’s a great list. I also like these concluding thoughts from Guy:
… the purpose of going to school is not to prepare for working but to prepare for living. Working is a part of living, and it requires these kinds of skills no matter what career you pursue. However, there is much more to life than work, so study what you love.
Thanks to Devin Henley for this link.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- iOS Podcast Subscriptions on the Go - 2011
- The Roadmap to Blended Learning and the #playingwithmedia Classroom Challenge - 2011
- Bring on the EVs (electric vehicles,) EV Conversion Kits, ZERO Emissions Cars and Plug-In Hybrids - 2010
- Hi tech Disney demos for A Christmas Carol - 2009
- New Ustream and Qik Apps available for iPhone, but no live-streaming without jailbreak - 2009
- Learning about new iPhone and iTouch Apps (Aug 2009) - 2009
- WikiPedia gives good citation advice - 2008
- Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus formatting problem solved - 2008
- Keyboard practice and racing with Typeracer - 2008
- "Upgrading" by Bob Sprankle - 2007