I had a great day today working with about 20 students, grades 5-8, and their teacher in Greenville School near Marietta, Oklahoma. I helped them get a new class blog started using b2evolution. I settled on b2evolution as the blogging tool because:
- b2evolution does not require students to have email addresses to setup accounts (they can use a dummy account like “email@example.com”)– unforunately both learnerblogs and blogger DO require student email accounts.
- ClassBlogmeister is a great tool, but it is controlled by David Warlick, and I need a software tool I can use and setup directly without working through an intermediary (even though David is a GREAT guy and very helpful– he’s just often pretty busy!)
- November Learning Communities has great classroom blogging software, but it costs big $$$. b2evolution is free.
- b2evolution supports creation of multiple blogs from the same mySQL database. My web host limits me to five mySQL databases, so this is a VERY big deal. (I don’t have enough mySQL accounts to setup a new wordpress blog for each classroom I want to help like this.)
- b3evolution is free, and was FAIRLY straightforward to setup (as web apps involving mySQL using PHPmyadmin and ftp go…..)
Now I need to do a few tweaks to the install: get the .htaccess file set to improve performance, fix the default homepage, and implement a b2evolution hack Miguel told me about that permits comment moderation. 🙂
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Considering Audience and Purpose for Classroom Websites - 2017
- Audio Podcasting Workflows (August 2016) - 2016
- 70 iPad Apps for Elementary STEM - 2014
- Copyright Infringement Claims Lead to Suspension of Legoboy YouTube Channels - 2011
- OKC WordPress User's Group Meeting Notes: August 2011 - 2011
- Storychasing Follow Me Sunday with an iPad2 and iRig Mic - 2011
- Podcast356: Discussing EV (Electric Vehicle) Technology and Plugin Hybrids with Nathan Parrow of Oklahoma Robotics LLC - 2010
- Laptop Learning in Massachusetts: BYOL on the horizon? - 2010
- eBook Resources (for iPhone users and others) - 2009
- Podcast328: Students as Self-Advocates: Why/How Learners Should Craft Their Own Digital Footprints (Ginger Lumen) - 2009