Sheila Riley’s TechLearning article from this week, “9 Ways to Prevent Identity Theft,” provides a concise overview of a VERY important topic that teachers, administrators, students, and everyone else alive and breathing in our 21st century society should not only be aware of– but also proactive about. The tips she elaborates on include:
- Know what ID theft is and how it takes place.
- Assign someone to the role of chief information security officer.
- Pay attention to passwords.
- Conduct ongoing training.
- Give employees specific suggestions.
- Keep on top of standard tech precautions.
- Consider all sources of sensitive information.
- Think about addressing social networking sites.
- Shred, shred, shred.
My main editorial to add to this list concerns #8. There should be NO QUESTION about schools proactively addressing digital social networking at school with students, and with parents. Are we going to prepare kids for the real world, or bury our heads in the sand and pretend the non-blocked Internet sites outside the district’s content filter don’t exist at all? We MUST help kids learn to safely and effectively use digital social networking environments. They are using them now, they will continue to use them in the future, and without guideance (and even when it is provided, unfortunately) many will make poor choices in DSN environments. (Check out the stats if you don’t believe me!) We must do what we can to prepare students for the real world outside of the classroom.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Don't Let Toxic Voices Tell You Who You Are - 2019
- Hello from Shanghai! - 2011
- Collaborating on a debate assignment with Google Docs and Social Bookmarks - 2010
- News Literacy and the Basics of Journalism: Be Fair, Accurate and Clear - 2010
- A NO SCREENS Sunday afternoon - 2008
- Beware of Quechup Spam Scam - 2007
- Realize your dreams today, start virtually attending Stanford or MIT - 2007
- K-12 Online Conference Teasers! - 2007
- YALSA: Using social networking tools to encourage reading and literacy - 2007
- Meaningful PD and helping students create media - 2007