I blogged last week about San Jose State’s decision to block access to Skype, now it appears the university has relented and will allow Skype use by students and faculty. According to arstechnica:
On-campus criticism of San Jose State’s decision was strong, with professor Steve Sloan rallying colleagues and students to protest the ban, which thwarted plans he had to use Skype for a discussion between his students and some textbook authors. Sloan believes Skype has significant educational value because it “is a pipe into a flat world where easy communications is a strategic advantage and the loss of which is a disadvantage.”
Once news of the ban hit eBay’s corporate officesâ€”located about 10 miles away from the schoolâ€”the company responded with a few ideas on how to address the school’s concerns. eBay suggested that San Jose State install a proxy server to handle all Skype traffic, a solution the school believes will address its concerns. The other schools that have banned Skype have not yet indicated whether they’ll relent and go with the proxy server solution or keep their bans in place.
Way to go Dr. Steve Sloan and others who rallied together on this issue!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Blogging with Seesaw - 2019
- Learning at the Cisco Roadshow - 2015
- Is the Pied Piper (electronic devices with screens) taking our kids away? by Neeti Kohli - 2013
- What do you want to CREATE today? (Oct 2012) - 2012
- Gogurt Creativity at Panera #micon - 2010
- NCLB High Stakes Testing is Counterproductive and Bad for our Nation - 2010
- Be Like Google (as a school community) #micon #gct @ckyle @sdroke - 2010
- Say Yes to WikiPedia #micon @philip_cummings - 2010
- Tom Barrett on Blogging and Inspiring Student Learning #micon - 2010
- PODDY Training: iPod Touches in the Early Childhood Classroom #micon #edapp - 2010