I learned a helpful trick relating to SMTP server settings by listening yesterday to TWiT podcast 76: Too Zune?. Using my wireless laptop from different WiFi hotspot locations, I’ve run into problems sending email with my 3rd party email software program because of different blocks that Internet Service Providers have on port 25 (used for SMTP email sending.) Perhaps I could have used the optional port 587 for Yahoo mail to permit outgoing mail to actually “send” out, but I still had my settings on port 25. As a result, I generally have been able to receive email through my POP mail client but not send email out (unless I use a webmail interface).
I learned listening to TWiT that GMail permits authenticated SMTP email sending via port 587. GMail has free POP and SMTP access for email users, unlike Yahoo which charges for those as premium services. This GMail SMTP configuration is working for me to send email. I suppose this may not work from all WiFi hotspots and on all school networks, but so far it IS working from connections I previously couldn’t email from without using webmail. 🙂
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- 5th EdCampOKC Coming to Del City High School March 4, 2017 - 2016
- Inspired by Ashley Vance's Biography of Elon Musk - 2015
- Brainstorming the Digital Sharing Map: Classroom Edition - 2015
- Come See "One Incredible Moment" in Edmond This Weekend - 2014
- Building Virtual Bridges Through Sharing and Transparency - 2013
- Al Jazeera, Arab Spring, & Opposing Extremism in Our Midst in the USA - 2012
- Mobile Video Editing with ReelDirector on an iPhone4 #edapp - 2010
- Tech Support for Parents - 2010
- No alternative to the RTTT / Duncan Education Reform Plan Offered by Fallin - 2010
- Reasons I love Blip.tv and Screenr - 2009