One exciting development (which isn’t final but just under consideration) is permitting U.S. sales of the device to raise funds for units provided to students in developing nations. My own kids would love this! (Last summer my then 8 year old reported he’d already saved $30 toward the purchase of his own laptop!)
I was also interested to read the names of the first countries ordering and receiving laptops starting this summer:
The first countries to sign up to buying the machine, which is officially dubbed XO, include Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan and Thailand.
Google’s role in providing hosting space for read/write content published by students in OLPC classrooms is also exciting:
The OLPC project is working with Google who will act as “the glue to bind all these kids together”. Google will also help the children publish their work on the internet so that the world can observe the “fruits of their labour”, said Mr Bletsas.
Today Bernie Dodge at MacWorld was talking about interactive fiction, and the possiblity of creating “choose your own adventure” stories using tools like Writely, part of Google Documents. The creative possibilities for learning and literacy with one to one computing environments, ubiquitous Internet access, and read/write web tools are just mind boggling!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Custom Domain Mapping for a Classroom Google Site - 2016
- Backup iPhone SMS Messages on a Mac - 2016
- Creating Visual Notes on an iPad with ProCreate - 2015
- FREE on Amazon for Kindle - Hopscotch Challenges: Learn to Code on an iPad! eBook - 2014
- EdCampOKC 2013 Organizer Meeting January 10th [ARCHIVED VIDEO] - 2013
- Quality Counts Education State Reports: $5 Each?! - 2011
- iPhone Mobile Hotspot Capability Coming with iOS 4.3? - 2011
- Time Tracking (time sheet) App for iPhone - 2011
- Observations about Organizational Blogging and Social Media Use - 2011
- Riddikulus! @newsok Please change your policy locking up your archives to paying customers only - 2010