One exciting development (which isn’t final but just under consideration) is permitting U.S. sales of the device to raise funds for units provided to students in developing nations. My own kids would love this! (Last summer my then 8 year old reported he’d already saved $30 toward the purchase of his own laptop!)
I was also interested to read the names of the first countries ordering and receiving laptops starting this summer:
The first countries to sign up to buying the machine, which is officially dubbed XO, include Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan and Thailand.
Google’s role in providing hosting space for read/write content published by students in OLPC classrooms is also exciting:
The OLPC project is working with Google who will act as “the glue to bind all these kids together”. Google will also help the children publish their work on the internet so that the world can observe the “fruits of their labour”, said Mr Bletsas.
Today Bernie Dodge at MacWorld was talking about interactive fiction, and the possiblity of creating “choose your own adventure” stories using tools like Writely, part of Google Documents. The creative possibilities for learning and literacy with one to one computing environments, ubiquitous Internet access, and read/write web tools are just mind boggling!
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- FREE on Amazon for Kindle - Hopscotch Challenges: Learn to Code on an iPad! eBook - 2014
- EdCampOKC 2013 Organizer Meeting January 10th [ARCHIVED VIDEO] - 2013
- Quality Counts Education State Reports: $5 Each?! - 2011
- iPhone Mobile Hotspot Capability Coming with iOS 4.3? - 2011
- Time Tracking (time sheet) App for iPhone - 2011
- Observations about Organizational Blogging and Social Media Use - 2011
- Riddikulus! @newsok Please change your policy locking up your archives to paying customers only - 2010
- Oklahoma City NAACP Freedom Center Needs Funds to Remain Open - 2010
- Showing full length copyrighted movies for leadership class - 2010
- Helping students picture themselves at college - 2010