Oklahoma educators in Howe Public Schools (as well as other schools around the globe) were highlighted in the print and web versions of today’s USA Today newspaper in the article, “No permission slip needed.” The article focused on schools and virtual field trips. Notable quotations from the article included:
“It’s just wonderful,” says Carol Ann Ford, coordinator of the gifted and talented program in Howe, population 700. “Your imagination is the only thing that limits what you’re interested in doing in the classroom.”
“Because we’re taking them everywhere, (students) are becoming little global citizens,” says Jody Kennedy, a teacher in White Plains. “They’re becoming leaders. These are all happy surprises we’ve never expected.”
Hopefully we’ll see a lot more videoconferencing between Oklahoma schools and from Oklahoma schools to other learners around the globe in the coming year, which is Oklahoma’s 100 year state centennial. I’m currently in Enid working with 12 other educators, training to be facilitators for the Oklahoma Digital Centennial Project. We are recording all our sessions during the 3 day workshop to a Tandberg Content Server, and will subsequently publish all sessions as both audio-only and video podcasts.
I’m learning a lot and I think the other teachers and administrators are too! Let the digital storytelling and collaborative project work begin!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Podcast 439: Best Day of Classroom Blogging Ever with Shelly Fryer - 2016
- Initial Minecraft Competition World Created with MCEdit - 2014
- Create Multiple Audioboo Channels with the Same Gmail Address - 2013
- Nice Cat (An amazing story of encouragement for artistic creativity) - 2013
- Going Mobile with WordPress and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) - 2012
- StoryRobe + ReelDirector = Hybrid Mobile Video #edapps - 2011
- Schools pretend this world of publish at will media doesn't exist - 2010
- Digital Witness to President Obama's Inauguration - 2009
- Opening minds about cell phones for learning - 2008
- Vista is out, but do educators care? - 2007