Here are the brainstorming results from today’s TCEA 2007 presentation on digital social networking. Participants took several minutes to brainstorm the ideas and words that came to mind (their existing schema) for digital social networking, and then we collected those ideas and put them into an Inspiration document. I exported those results as a text file, and organized them by which ideas reflected positive perceptions, which reflected negative ones, and those that were neutral (more factual):
DSN: What do we know?
I. positive perception
C. way for college age kids to connect with old friends
D. connect with others who were not in previous peer group
E. shrinking the world
F. facilitating communication
G. son met present fiance on social networking
H. about teaching and learning in non-traditional sense
I. kids as teachers
J. forcing educators to look at new delivery methods
II. negative perception
A. risky behavior
B. actions can haunt kids
D. can be harmful and hurtful
F. generational divide
D. chat rooms
E. about identity
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Mapping Media is now Show What You Know with Media - 2015
- An #etmooc Distributed Digital Storytelling Activity about Beauty - 2013
- Embed a MP3 Audio File in a WordPress.com Blog Post - 2012
- Face the Facebook: Implications and Consequences for Educators Using Social Media by Colin Webb - 2012
- Harnessing the Digital Landscape by David Warlick - 2012
- Look at Me Now! Changing the Face of Professional Development - 2012
- Learning About Notetaking on the iPad at @thedivorg via @ipadwithwes - 2012
- The Story of 1:1 Learning in Tupelo, Mississippi #msmeca11 - 2011
- Podcasting & Mobile Media for Teaching & Learning by Larry Anderson #msmeca11 - 2011
- Cartooning Around in Language Arts by Malia Triggs #msmeca11 - 2011