This podcast is a recording of the last half of a presentation by Gary Stager at the TCEA conference in Austin, Texas on February 7, 2007. The title of the session, which Gary co-presented with David Thornburg. I missed the first half of the preso when David presented, but these are most of the comments shared by Gary. Both Gary and David have compelling messages to share with educators, parents, and others about the value of approaching education with a constructivist lens. Gary’s stories about students ranging in context from Maine’s junenile prisons to the home schooled children of America’s wealthiest families have a strong common denominator. Learners want to be engaged in work they find personally meaningful and engaging. The work they can be invited to do via projects which involve robotics and active constructionism can and often does knock the socks off of adults who had much lower expectations of the students’ capabilities.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Mapping Media is now Show What You Know with Media - 2015
- An #etmooc Distributed Digital Storytelling Activity about Beauty - 2013
- Embed a MP3 Audio File in a WordPress.com Blog Post - 2012
- Face the Facebook: Implications and Consequences for Educators Using Social Media by Colin Webb - 2012
- Harnessing the Digital Landscape by David Warlick - 2012
- Look at Me Now! Changing the Face of Professional Development - 2012
- Learning About Notetaking on the iPad at @thedivorg via @ipadwithwes - 2012
- The Story of 1:1 Learning in Tupelo, Mississippi #msmeca11 - 2011
- Podcasting & Mobile Media for Teaching & Learning by Larry Anderson #msmeca11 - 2011
- Cartooning Around in Language Arts by Malia Triggs #msmeca11 - 2011