As I teach various workshops relating to educational podcasting, I frequently field questions relating to bandwidth. Today I discovered this excellent comparative table of podcast lengths and encoding bit-rates which shows the approximate sizes of podcasts of different lengths recorded with different quality levels from Liberated Syndication.
For my own podcasts that are primarly spoken voice episodes but do include some music for the intro, transitions and outro, I always encode at a bitrate of 32 kbps. This table of podcast sizes matches with my own experiences, where a 20 minute 32 kbps podcast takes up about 4.5 MB and a 60 minute podcast is 12-14 MB. When you want to calculate total bandwidth demands for a given podcast, multiply the podcast size times the number of anticipated subscribers / downloads.
Tim Wilson told me about Liberated Syndication this past week at the TCEA conference in Austin. It is the hosting solution he uses for podcasts. Their hosting features include “unmetered bandwidth,” which is a really big deal for popular podcasts. Individual as well as organizational podcasting plans are available, the individual plans start at $5 per month which includes 100 MB of uploaded podcasts per month. If you’re encoding at 32 kbps, that amounts to quite a bit of uploaded podcast content each month!
I haven’t tried Liberated Syndication myself, but I’ve added it to my “Intermediate/Advanced Topics in Podcasting” workshop curriculum.
Technorati Tags: podcasting
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- iPad Classroom Workflow: Publishing Student Videos to YouTube - 2015
- iPad Apps for PreK Aides and Students (Feb 2013) - 2013
- Podcast388: Oklahoma CCSS, TLE & Virtual School & Education Reform Update (Feb 2012) - 2012
- A Response to the Alleged Consensus on America's Failing Schools - 2012
- 24-25 February 2011: Google Tools Workshops in Claremore, Oklahoma (Tulsa area) - 2011
- There Is Not Failure - Just Learning (Death of a Social Network in Tulsa, Oklahoma) - 2011
- Podcast228: Pedagogic Crimes Against Students - 2008
- Google Tools and Digital Dialog - 2007
- FETC Podcasts - 2007
- Unimproved ends? - 2006