My notes from a vendor session at MACE 2007 about Lightspeed Systems.
Lightspeed has been around for 20 years, solely focused on school districts
– in 5000 schools, based in California but are all over the country
– beginning: was eRate sold bandwidth manager and firewall appliance
– that was around 9 years ago
After that, started incorporating more filtering, reporting, spam blocking
– then created agent for antivirus program like Cisco CSA agenta
– controlling removable media like flash drives, blocking executables but still providing read/write access
What happens when student laptops go home and they are not filtered?
Explore demo reports you get with Lightspeed:
Look up info on blocked sites and viruses identified on the Lightspeed system:
Logs and archives all traffic on the network including email and IM (maybe not Skype currently)
I could not take more notes because I loaned the presenter my laptop (his couldn’t get on the wireless)
I recorded this session and will post as a podcast later.
Pricing is approx $10 per workstation, you have to buy the software or can get a hardware and software solutions. They have about 5000 education customers nationwide, some resellers sell this as a managed service
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- How to Setup a Google Hangout On Air (March 2015) - 2015
- iAuthor an iBook: Creating iBooks on the iPad by Meg Wilson - 2013
- Curriculum Stories with StopMotion Animation by Jan Cosmos - 2013
- Creative Digital Art Projects that put STEAM into STEM by Tricia Fuglestad - 2013
- Digital Storytelling: Get It Write! by Joe Brennan - 2013
- Creating a Worldwide Literacy Community by Pam Allyn - 2013
- Infusing the Arts in the Common Core by Carol Broos - 2013
- Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter incompatible with Tandberg DVI Cable - 2011
- Top 10 Education Apps for iPod Touch and iPhone - 2010
- Oklahoma 1:1 ARRA TitleIID Grants Announcement Date moved to March 25th #ok1to1 - 2010