Today’s NYT article “A Call for Manners in the World of Nasty Blogs” includes some details about work being done by different folks relating to “blog codes of conduct.” I had heard about the troubles Kathy Sierra faced recently which led to the “Stop Cyberbullying” day Friday before-last, but not the stories of someone creating a hurtful parody site about the children of Heather Armstrong, or the malicious pornographic site someone created who opposes the work for Arab-Israeli peace done by Richard Silverstein.
I applaud these efforts to promote civil discourse in the blogosphere. Our needs for more digital dialog will only increase in the years ahead. We’ve got to be taking these conversations out of virtual spaces and also having them in face-to-face contexts, with both adults and young people.
Via K. Lehman in Yangon, Myanmar. (Isn’t that amazing that a teacher in Myanmar brought this article from today’s NYT to my attention, via a digital dialog feedriver I setup recently with KickRSS for Digital Dialog? The world is flat. This is proof!)
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Arab Spring and the 2018 Oklahoma Teacher Walkout - 2018
- Lessons Learned on our Family's College Journey (April 2016) - 2016
- Oklahoma SDE Providing Funds for 1 Year Common Core Coach Positions - 2012
- Podcast375: Technology Leadership Advice for 60 New Oklahoma Superintendents - 2011
- Technology Trends in Higher Education (April 2010) - 2010
- WiFi Connectivity Options at Starbucks, AT&T hotspots, and Rural Broadband over Power Lines - 2009
- VLE versus MLE - 2008
- links for 2008-04-09 - 2008
- Podcast144: Free online videos for learning from NextVista.org - 2007
- Choosing forgiveness and grace over hate and revenge - 2007