This podcast features a recording from April 2007 by Mike Pennell of NewNet66 in Oklahoma regarding network security for schools and the literal WAR being fought to protect network resources from malicious attacks. Mike is an extremely knowledgeable network security expert, and shared this presentation for educators in Tulsa, Oklahoma. This is information every school superintendent and principal should have, not because they need to know every detail of network security protection, but rather because they need both the “big picture” when it comes to network security as well as enough information to ask the right questions and obtain needed answers about technology to do their jobs effectively. For more information about the NewNet66 consortium of Oklahoma schools and the additional resources they share about network security protection for schools, visit their website at www.newnet66.org.
- NewNet66: A nonprofit consortium of Oklahoma school districts
- Intrusion Detection/Prevention Information (from NewNet66)
- Network stuff from NewNet66 (lots of free software tools)
- InterMapper from Dartware, LLC
- TippingPoint Intrusion Prevention
- My text notes from this presentation by Mike.
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
Please support my STEM classroom Donor's Choose project: "Applying STEM Skills with Robotic Sphero Balls. Use the promo code INSPIRE at checkout to double your donation (up to $100) thanks to a match from DonorsChoose.org.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Rocket Time! (an iPhone iMovie Trailer) - 2014
- Redeeming the Family: Blessing Children of Incarcerated Parents - 2013
- Rise Up Oklahoma City: Support Our Public Schools! - 2012
- Brainstorming PlayingWithMedia.com with Popplet - 2011
- 7th Annual American Indian Learner's Conference: May 21, 2011 - 2011
- How are you addressing the digital participation gap? #newlearningculture - 2011
- Scratch, Stopmotion, Lego Robotics, Worm Farming and more at Kids College in Altus - 2010
- Digital audio recorder quest: affordable, powerful, compatible (May 2010) - 2010
- First geocaching experiences with our Garmin eTrex Legend HCx - 2008
- Two great podcast presentations from TCEA 2007 - 2007