This podcast features a recording from April 2007 by Mike Pennell of NewNet66 in Oklahoma regarding network security for schools and the literal WAR being fought to protect network resources from malicious attacks. Mike is an extremely knowledgeable network security expert, and shared this presentation for educators in Tulsa, Oklahoma. This is information every school superintendent and principal should have, not because they need to know every detail of network security protection, but rather because they need both the “big picture” when it comes to network security as well as enough information to ask the right questions and obtain needed answers about technology to do their jobs effectively. For more information about the NewNet66 consortium of Oklahoma schools and the additional resources they share about network security protection for schools, visit their website at www.newnet66.org.
- NewNet66: A nonprofit consortium of Oklahoma school districts
- Intrusion Detection/Prevention Information (from NewNet66)
- Network stuff from NewNet66 (lots of free software tools)
- InterMapper from Dartware, LLC
- TippingPoint Intrusion Prevention
- My text notes from this presentation by Mike.
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Inspire Your Students with the 2017 Google I/O Opening Animated Video - 2017
- Rocket Time! (an iPhone iMovie Trailer) - 2014
- Redeeming the Family: Blessing Children of Incarcerated Parents - 2013
- Rise Up Oklahoma City: Support Our Public Schools! - 2012
- Brainstorming PlayingWithMedia.com with Popplet - 2011
- 7th Annual American Indian Learner's Conference: May 21, 2011 - 2011
- How are you addressing the digital participation gap? #newlearningculture - 2011
- Scratch, Stopmotion, Lego Robotics, Worm Farming and more at Kids College in Altus - 2010
- Digital audio recorder quest: affordable, powerful, compatible (May 2010) - 2010
- First geocaching experiences with our Garmin eTrex Legend HCx - 2008