We had a relaxing and outstanding 4th of July in Edmond, Oklahoma! One of the highlights of our local parade this morning was seeing Darth Vader riding a Segway!Â Â Â Besides enjoying the company of family and friends as well as some good food today, I was thrilled to have time (at last) to update my WordPress installation to the latest version as well as find / tweak a new 3 column theme. (Thanks to my mom and son for perusing many options and giving me some good choices from which to pick!) I’ve been wanting to make these changes to my blog for some time, and I am not finished… I am going to restore an altered version of my original graphic to the top of my blog, and make a few other minor changes. Overall, I am pleased with how things are looking now. I’ll be interested to hear your feedback. The main things I was looking for in a new WordPress theme were:
- Support for widgets.
- Page tabs of some kind at the top.
- A 3 column layout with an expanding body section in the middle, depending on browser window width.
- Something with a graphic at the top and predominantly light colors.
- A blockquote stylesheet that includes quotation marks on the side.
Other things were considered too, but those were the main items. I am LOVING widgets! I’m sure I’ll be making more tweaks as I discover others in the weeks to come. My main frustration currently is that Ecto seems to have stopped working for some reason with WordPress 2.2. I’m getting a “parsing failure” error when I try to post from Ecto, and I have not had luck Googling for a solution to this, yet. Any suggestions? Ecto is my main way of writing 99% of my blog posts, so I really need to get this resolved! For some reason when I edit a page and sometimes post a page from the WordPress web interface the resulting page doesn’t show up, it just hangs as a blank page… and for some reason I can’t delete several accidental draft “pages” as well. Not sure what is causing those problems, I’ve waited quite awhile to upgrade to the new version so I’d think bugs like this would be worked out. May be something to my local installation I need to change. Again, I’m not finished making changes, but I’d be curious if you have any feedback based on the theme changes so far.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Holiday weekend listen: Freakonomics Radio provides advice for tech-savvy teachers - 2013
- Podcast352: Artillery at the Battle of Yorktown, Revolutionary War Field Surgery, and the Battle of Great Bridge - 2010
- Moderate learning community membership - 2009
- Making Audioboo locations private - 2009
- Ustream at Night from the Lincoln Memorial - 2009
- Faces of the Fallen - Supporting our soldiers and their families - 2008