In the second day of our digital learning academy workshop in St Louis, Missouri, and Mustang, Oklahoma, teachers at each site did an activity we called “Tell a story with 5 photos.” Rather than join the existing Flickr group “Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling)” we created and joined a new Flickr group, “Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators.” Although the winning 5 photo story for June in the “visual story” group was quite funny (“Lions In Action”) the theme would be sure to raise a few eyebrows at least in many school districts. So, we created (or I should say Karen Montgomery created) a new 5 photo Flickr group just for educators, which will hopefully be less thematically controversial with its submissions.
Feel free to check out the work of the teachers today and comment on their stories in the discussion area of the group! (You’ll need to join the group first to see them and comment, I think, but anyone can join without approval being required.) Also feel free to use this Flickr group in workshops you lead or in which you participate with educators. You can check out our group del.icio.us links we’ve put together for the past 2 days as well!
At the end of the day today we broke into groups and teachers started planning projects to work on collaboratively (with group members in Missouri and Oklahoma.) The main tools we’re using are Ning, del.icio.us, Flickr, and PBwiki. Several teachers reported staying up VERY late last night creating new Ning networks and working with the other web 2.0 tools we introduced. One even fell asleep with her head on the laptop keyboard! Yikes! Web 2.0 can be fun and addictive!
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Use Video Camera Like a Pencil - A Blog Like a Textbook - 2014
- Wind Energy in the Classroom at Podstock 2013 - 2013
- Lessons Learned Teaching Mapping Media Last Semester as a Blended Course - 2013
- A Video Lecture You Won't Soon Forget: Video Games and Storytelling - 2012
- Webcasting with Ustream, an iPad, a Tripod & an XLR Boundary Microphone - 2012
- It's not a real spider, it's just a smartphone - 2011
- Alan November's website was hacked - 2010
- River Rafting in Colorado with Buffalo Joe's on the Arkansas River - 2010
- A free online musical - But watch out - No ratings here... - 2008
- Know any fantastic Drupal developers? - 2008