Meaningful professional development is always a challenge. In most cases, teacher audiences are diverse with different grade level and content area interests. Face to face time is limited, and opportunities for follow up often are in short supply as well.
Colorado secondary assistant principal Rick Tanski found a great way to address these challenges during the 2006-2007 academic year: Via a multi-month book study for teachers focused on Dan Pink’s book “A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future.” Rick reports teachers from various departments including English, Social Studies, Marketing, Math, Science, Art and the Library have found ways to integrate ideas from Pink’s book into their lessons and projects for students. He wrote of this experience:
It was the single most inspirational and rewarding staff development experience of my 14-year professional educational career. We met once a month for 8 months over the course of the 2006-2007 school year… several members of our staff asked me if I could offer the book study again this year. I have and 12 different teachers from art, english, math, science, social studies, and special education have signed up.
Way to to Rick and teachers at Pine Creek High School north of Colorado Springs!
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Lessons Learned as an Educational Consultant (Oct 2013) - 2013
- Steve Jobs Inspired Me to Dream Big Again - 2011
- Jack Berckemeyer: Opening Keynote at Qatar Academy - 2011
- Marketing Flyer for the 2010 K-12 Online Conference #k12online10 - 2010
- Tools to simplify meeting scheduling - 2009
- A worthless worksheet and a voluntary VoiceThread - 2008
- Is technology at school an event or a tool set? - 2008
- K12Online discussions on EdTechTalk - 2007
- Turning to YouTube for an Origami Tutorial - 2007
- 2nd Grade podcast - 2005