Meaningful professional development is always a challenge. In most cases, teacher audiences are diverse with different grade level and content area interests. Face to face time is limited, and opportunities for follow up often are in short supply as well.
Colorado secondary assistant principal Rick Tanski found a great way to address these challenges during the 2006-2007 academic year: Via a multi-month book study for teachers focused on Dan Pink’s book “A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future.” Rick reports teachers from various departments including English, Social Studies, Marketing, Math, Science, Art and the Library have found ways to integrate ideas from Pink’s book into their lessons and projects for students. He wrote of this experience:
It was the single most inspirational and rewarding staff development experience of my 14-year professional educational career. We met once a month for 8 months over the course of the 2006-2007 school year… several members of our staff asked me if I could offer the book study again this year. I have and 12 different teachers from art, english, math, science, social studies, and special education have signed up.
Way to to Rick and teachers at Pine Creek High School north of Colorado Springs!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Podcast433: Sharing Student Work Online (October 2015) - 2015
- Lessons Learned as an Educational Consultant (Oct 2013) - 2013
- Steve Jobs Inspired Me to Dream Big Again - 2011
- Jack Berckemeyer: Opening Keynote at Qatar Academy - 2011
- Marketing Flyer for the 2010 K-12 Online Conference #k12online10 - 2010
- Tools to simplify meeting scheduling - 2009
- A worthless worksheet and a voluntary VoiceThread - 2008
- Is technology at school an event or a tool set? - 2008
- K12Online discussions on EdTechTalk - 2007
- Turning to YouTube for an Origami Tutorial - 2007