This podcast features an interview with Sam Wynn, technology director for Vinita Public Schools in Vinita, Oklahoma. We discussed their district’s use of the free Open Fire instant messaging platform for intra-district communication. Our conversation also addressed the district’s plans to utilize collaborative technologies like blogs and wikis, and the benefits of self-hosting these resources within the district rather than using externally hosted sites. Sam has a vision of schools becoming content hosts for student learning in the future. His district is running a wide variety of open source solutions including Cacti, IPCop, Openswan, post fix, Spam Assassin, Dovecot, Userful, and G4L among other solutions. Sam also discussed some challenges they have faced integrating Macintosh computers into their predominantly Linux-based server system using NFS file shares. With a staff of two and robust knowledge of open source technology solutions, the Vinita Schools’ technology department is managing a large number of computer systems and providing a supportive environment for digital teaching and learning.
- Open Fire Instant Messaging Platform
- Cacti (network graphing solution)
- Openswan (implementation of IPsec for Linux)
- Post Fix (Open source email server for Unix, IBM Public license)
- SpamAssassin (Powerful #1 Open-Source Spam Filter)
- Dovecot (open source IMAP and POP3 server for Linux/UNIX-like systems)
- Userful (powers secure desktop computers at a fraction of conventional costs)
- G4L (open source hard disk and partition imaging and cloning tool)
- Logicube (hard disk imaging solutions)
- Vinita Public Schools, Oklahoma
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcast!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Editing a Periscope Video & Rotating Before Posting to YouTube - 2015
- Project Management Tools, Tips and Tricks (Oct 2013) - 2013
- At the Eastern Edge of our Continent: Wells Reserve at Laudholm (Maine) - 2012
- Annotate, Correct and Edit Documents on Your iPad - 2011
- The Joys of Microfiche Scanning - 2010
- Gage, Oklahoma Schools roll out iPod Touches for Grades 3-12 - 2009
- Podcast198: I've Recorded a Podcast: Now What? - 2007
- Talking blogs - 2006
- Wii is going to reinvent the gaming experience - 2006
- Persuasion Map - 2006