This podcast is a recording of my presentation on Internet safety and social networking at the Safe and Healthy Schools Conference in Oklahoma City on October 29, 2007. In this session, I encourage educators to move beyond “the fear factor” in discussions about Internet safety and online social networking. Generally adults help young people learn to drive safely before giving them car keys and turning them loose on the streets of the world. Young people also need guidance and adult assistance to learn how to safely navigate the virtual environments of the 21st Century. Schools must be proactive, rather than merely defensive, in helping students acquire the skills of digital citizenship needed today and in the future. Simply banning read/write web tools on school networks is an inadequate response: Educators must strive to learn alongside students and parents how these technologies can be safely and powerfully used to communicate and collaborate.
- Referenced links from this session (on PBwiki)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcast!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Using 8 Bit Games and Humor to Present Serious Political Messages - 2016
- WP Super Cache To the Rescue - 2014
- Notes from C-School (Creativity Boot Camp) - 2012
- Melinda Gates: No iPads or iPhones for Kids - Stick with your Zune - 2010
- Learning about Netbooks in 1 to 1 Learning Projects from Maine Educators - 2009
- Free AT&T Wi-Fi access to iPhone customers - 2008
- Learning about documentary filmmaking and WWII from Ken Burns - 2007
- 12th "Great Book Story" project example - 2007
- Week2 feed for K12Online06 - 2006
- Daylight Savings Time and WordPress - 2006