I was delighted to discover the free software utility program “Prism Video Converter” today for Windows, which can convert Windows Media Video (.wmv) files to QuickTime movie (.mov) formatted files for use in podcast channels. What I do NOT know yet is if the settings I used for encoding and the output size will be compatible on an iPod or iPhone.
Previously I’ve used the free Jodix WMV to iPod converter (which I have linked on my intro to podcasting workshop curriculum) but for some reason, the latest version of the Jodix converter only converted the first seven seconds of the WMV file with which I’m working. Not sure what the problem is, but I’m glad to discover Prism. The same software company that makes Prism offers free Switch software for audio file converting, which I use with my Olympus WS-110 Voice Recorder to convert Windows Media Audio (WMA) files into 32 kbps mp3 files for audio podcasts. Switch is available for both Windows and Macintosh platforms, Prism appears to only be available for Windows.
On the Macintosh side for WMV file converting for podcasts, I like the free program iSquint. I think both iSquint and Prism use the same free encoding tools as ffmpegX, which is another free converter for the Macintosh OS.
[tags]wmv, mov, podcast, podcasting, convert, converter, software, free[/tags]
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Embed Twitter Widget in Dot Net Nuke (DNN) Website - 2015
- Disadvantages of Openly Sharing Media - 2014
- Yukon Students Learning Computer Programming with Scratch - 2013
- Introduction to the Common Core State Standards by Karen Robertson - 2012
- An Iterative Google Search (with advanced options) solves a MS Word File Saving Problem - 2012
- Learning about Glass Blowing in Santa Fe, New Mexico (videos) - 2011
- Podcast366: Interviews with Navy WWII Ace Ed Wendorf and Docents Aboard the USS Midway - 2011
- Good Memories from Denton and UNT - 2011
- Virtual DNA Fingerprinting Lab (1 to 1 Learning in Yarmouth, Maine) - 2011
- Brainstorm & Find Available Websites with DomainStorm - 2011