Someone or some group (apparently last night) broke off the wooden barrier which controls entry into the 5th Street Parking garage, right across the street from the YMCA. This appears to be a signature by “TRAK,” note the arrow pointing from the name down to the broken barrier.
By 8 am the broken barrier had been removed but the graffiti remained. I am not sure if “TRAK” is the name of an Oklahoma City area gang, but that seems likely. This past July, someone threw a rock through my window as my car was parked in this garage, and no one ever discovered who the culprit was. I did file a police report.
The garage managers sent out a letter recently that surveillance cameras were being installed in the garage: Hopefully those were in place to capture last night’s vandals on film.
In November 2006 at our state health conference I heard representatives from the US Dept of Justice Anti-Gang Initiative for the Eastern District of Oklahoma and the Oklahoma City Policy Gang Unit address gang issues and problems in the Oklahoma City area specifically. It was an eye opener. Unfortunately at the time they would not grant permission for an audio recording of the session to be shared online as a podcast. I’d like to hear a similar presentation now, updated for our current situation.
Apparently, gang related graffiti and vandalism continues to be a problem. 🙁 I feel pretty certain this is just the tip of the iceberg.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- You Must Watch This: We Need Educational Change But Not High Stakes Accountability - 2014
- Pooh's Special Friend Week: VoiceThread and YouTube on an iPad - 2011
- Donate to the Red Cross for Haiti Relief - Be wise and tech saavy - 2010
- Lecturecasting on a Shoestring with a Macbook, Ustream, CamTwist, MPEG Streamclip and Blip.tv - 2010
- Federal or State Responsibility for Education and Inequitable Education Funding Formulas - 2009
- Organizer Mac software, California Dreamin' (MacWorld08) - 2008
- Verify software is reputable and malware free before downloading - 2008
- Last 2 blogs moved to Siteground! - 2008
- Addressing the lurkers - 2007
- Cold day in Colorado - 2007