This podcast features excerpts of the conversation during an unconference session facilitated by Will Richardson at the Learning 2.0 Conference in Shanghai, China, in September 2007. Although there were many more participants, the only ones whose permission I was able to obtain to share their comments were Clay Burell and Ken Carroll. For that reason, I have edited out comments by the other participants. Despite these omissions, I think you’ll find the commentary and dialog by Clay and Ken both thought provoking and challenging. How can we avoid using blogs as electronic means for turning in homework? (I’ve heard of learning management systems at some colleges becoming basically more sophisticated mechanisms for exchanging file attachments, which is a similar problem.) How can we avoid, to use Clay’s term, “schooliness” in our use of web 2.0 tools? Is a more inquiry-based pedagogy of learning feasible in our climate of high stakes accountability, and in many contexts a focus on AP test preparation? Is there an agenda for educational change, and if so, how do we understand it and the ways web 2.0 tools can facilitate its advance?
- Clay Burell’s blog: Beyond School
- Ken Carroll’s podcast: ChinesePod
- Ken Carroll’s website: Praxis Language (integrated language learning programs)
- Learning 2.0 Conference Ning (Shanghai, China)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Podcast 438: Reflections on iCamp KSU 2016 by Shelly and Wesley Fryer - 2016
- Optimize Your Website by Enabling GZIP Compression - 2015
- View Kindle Notes on a Webpage - 2011
- HeyTell: Use Your iPhone or Android Phone like a Walkie Talkie #edapps - 2011
- 10 Ways to Write Better Blog Posts - 2011
- Include PBworks wiki pages as repeated header or footer content - 2010
- Protected and inactive organizational Twitter accounts, Digital Footprint Maintenance - 2010
- Link for Frontier PS Teachers - 2010
- Professional Schools and Self-Directed Learning - 2009
- Ohio Education Association gives bad advice on social networking - 2008