This past weekend I had an opportunity to tour the “back roads” of the Konza Prairie with a wonderful docent, Chod Hedinger, who had been one of my Scoutmasters when I was growing up in Manhattan, Kansas. I created a 10 photo VoiceThread this evening titled “Bison on the Konza Prairie” to provide greater context to the Flickr album I published after our two hour tour of the prairie. Approximately 300 bison live and roam on the Konza prairie, and we saw a bunch of them! This was a fantastic trip, and felt like we were in Yellowstone Park! I will be publishing the audio commentary Chod shared during this Konza prairie tour as a two-part podcast soon.
If you haven’t already read and seen it, be sure to check out the April 2007 National Geographic Magazine article about the Konza and the Flinthills of Kansas. The photographer for this article, Jim Richardson, lives and has a studio in Lindsborg, Kansas, AKA “Little Sweden, USA.” His .Mac website includes a fantastic web gallery of images he took for that article. Kansas is a BEAUTIFUL state, and Jim’s photography reveals that stunning beauty in its various forms. I particularly love the image he captured of the Milky Way galaxy over Kansas, as well as the image of the burning prairie. All of these images are for sale in Jim’s gallery, “Small World,” via his online “print shop.”
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Students & Teachers Explain Benefits of MinecraftEDU [VIDEO] - 2015
- Podcast398: A Student's Experiences in Oklahoma City Public Schools Virtual School - 2013
- First iMovie for iPhone Video - 2011
- Understanding the value of social media use for literacy development - 2010
- Podcast299: Dreaming of the Storychaser's Peace Train - 2009
- Opposing ethnocentrism in schools and society - 2007
- WikiPedia user page, Oklahoma Digital Centennial project - 2007
- Blog post listeners, podcatchers and accessibility - 2007