I just wrapped up my second workshop at NCCE in Seattle, titled “Cell Phones for Learning.” Participants learned how to use Gabcast to record audio interviews “in the field” as well as Flickr upload by email to share digital photos. We took the photos (from Flickr) and web-posted mp3 files (from a new Gabcast channel we created) and pulled those media pieces into a short VoiceThread digital story.
This was great fun and I think a good learning experience for all workshop participants.
We also used cell phones as mobile recorders to add a new comment to the VoiceThread about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. which I started with students and teachers in Salina, Kansas, last month.
Liz Kolb posted yesterday about this functionality of VoiceThread on her blog, “From Toy To Tool: Cell Phones in Schools.”
Please support my STEM classroom Donor's Choose project: "Applying STEM Skills with Robotic Sphero Balls. Use the promo code INSPIRE at checkout to double your donation (up to $100) thanks to a match from DonorsChoose.org.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Post an eBook from an iPad to Your Class Blog - 2012
- iPhone Video Edited with Splice - 2011
- Student Presentation on an iPad - 2011
- Brush Up on Modern Physics - Free - 2010
- Can you imagine this much global sharing? - 2010
- Geysers in Rotorua at Te Puia - 2009
- Podcast303: Transforming Pedagogy in NZ Schools, Duck Hunting in Hobbiton, the Easy Talk Microphone, and Kid Witness News - 2009
- Metered, commercial WiFi common in New Zealand - 2009
- Podcast134: Eric Langhorst on Teaching History with 21st Century Technology - 2007
- The WOW2 skype/chat is now! - 2007