Kudos to Kristin Hokanson for her recent post “RE Social Network Sites-An Open Letter to the Superintendent” and the out-of-blogosphere advocacy she is leading and sharing. I need to do some offline writing of letters to the editor and our local superintendent, following the lead and example of Kristin.
In her post, she linked to this excellent video on YouTube by Vanessa Van Petten titled “For Parents: Why do Teens Use Social Networking Sites?”
The author of this video writes the blog “Teens Today with Vanessa Van Petten: Exposing the Net Generation… A Gen Y Perspective on Teens and Parents” and is the author of the book “You’re Grounded!: How to Stop Fighting and Make the Teenage Years Easier.” It’s good to hear a Gen Y perspective like this on the benefits and value of social networking. I’ve added this to my blog page of “Videos for Professional Development” under the social networking category, and at the bottom of my resource wiki page for safe digital social networking.
I wish I was also presenting at COSN tomorrow on social networking, but I’m glad to see several others are. It will be interesting to see what they have to say. Hopefully they’ll present a balanced view, and include perspectives like that of Vanessa in the above video.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Learning at the March Oklahoma STEM Consortium Meeting - 2018
- CoWorking Spaces in Oklahoma City (March 2015) - 2015
- Impressed with Freshpaint App For Windows 8 (Microsoft Surface Tablet) - 2013
- How Can I Webstream an Event? - 2013
- A Creative ePub Audio Story Powered by Five Card Flickr Story - 2012
- Creating Educational Videos for YouTube by Marty Brandl - 2012
- Catherine Orenstein on the Power and Importance of Female Storytellers - 2011
- Sunset over a sea of clouds - 2011
- Guerrilla Health Message Marketing - 2011
- PSAs to stop texting and driving - 2010