This podcast is a recording of a presentation shared by John Copeland of VBrick at the Oklahoma Distance Learning Association (ODLA) spring conference on April 28, 2008, in Oklahoma City at MetroTech Springlake. John discussed the company VBrick as well as their products, but also provided an excellent overview of streaming video formats, standards, technologies, and considerations to keep in mind when working with streaming video solutions. Thanks to John for both sharing this presentation as well as granting permission to share the recorded audio and his slides, which are linked in the podcast shownotes. Slides 14 through 20 are particularly good in providing an overview of what is available in terms of streaming video options today.
- PDF of John’s presentation slides (5.9 MB)
- VBrick Systems Inc. (main corporate website)
- VBxStream (VBrick’s portable streaming solution announced on 15 April 2008, which works with cell network routers and permits live, remote streaming from any location with cell network coverage)
- Recording Calculator (Reference tool to calculate the required disk space for recording video)
- Internet Streaming Cost Calculator (Reference tool to calculate approximate cost of live streaming events using an hosted reflecting service)
- ethernetv.com (VBrick’s video portal test site, login with userid: demo, password: demo)
- Brick Systems Product Selector (includes questions as drop downs to help product selection based on needs and resources)
- Multicast (WikiPedia)
- Unicast (WikiPedia)
- Microsoft Silverlight Overview
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Podcast452: Classroom Wireless Projection Options, Coding, Toy Hacking, CyberSecurity & More from ATLIS 2017 - 2017
- Comparing Risks and Benefits of a PreTeen YouTube Channel - 2016
- A Touching Sign Language Performance of David Phelps: No More Night - 2012
- Using iPadio to Create a Final Exam Study Guide Phonecast - 2011
- What I Hope You Learned (A Technology 4 Teachers Pecha Kutcha Presentation) - 2010
- Podcast347: Be The Change You Want To See In Schools - 2010
- Graffiti at Classen SAS - 2010
- Day 2 of SMART Notebook training at CSD - 2009
- Visualizing Progress - 2009
- Podcast249: Pimp My Ride (digitally) Southeast Oklahoma Style (An Interview with Lance Ford: Mac Jedi) - 2008