My 2nd grade daughter, Sarah, spent last week in Washington DC touring and learning with her grandparents, and this week is in Colonial Williamsburg. Williamsburg is celebrating it’s 400 year anniversary right now, and it has been fantastic for Sarah and her grandparents to experience the exciting activities there in person this week. This is a copy of an email I sent to Sarah’s 2nd grade teacher this evening, following discussions and communications last week and this week with her principal and our district’s technology department.
I’m sorry but we are not going to be permitted by the school district to videoconference with Sarah on Thursday when she is in Williamsburg. Shelly and I will go ahead and videoconference with her as planned at 10 am, but we’ll do so from our church, away from school, and we will not involve any Edmond PS students in the videoconference to comply with the directive from the district technology director. I did not realize the district forbids any parents or students from using any type of personal computer and outside Internet connection device (like my cell network data card) to provide an interactive learning opportunity for students. Now I know.
I’m sad and very sorry this will not work out. This would have been an exciting learning opportunity for the kids and I know it would have meant a great deal to Sarah. Thanks for your willingness to give this a try.
I’m very sad.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- FREE Oklahoma City STEM Workshop: June 4-5, 2014 - 2014
- Read an Enhanced eBook in the Chrome Browser with Readium - 2013
- Using Student Videos on YouTube to Demonstrate Proper School Procedures - 2013
- Share Words and Pictures of Encouragement and Love with #moorehugs - 2013
- Remembering the Oklahoma City Bombing (supplementary curriculum videos) - 2010
- VoiceThread questions for graduating seniors - 2008
- Thank you Vicki Davis! - 2008
- My OLPC dream comes true - 2008
- K-12 Online 2007: Call for Proposals! - 2007
- Blogs like a neutron bomb! - 2006