For the past three years, Scott Charlson has served as the Director of Learning Support Systems at Western Oklahoma State College (WOSC) in Altus, Oklahoma. In this role, Scott has served as a facilitator and coach for college instructors teaching entirely online and in blended learning environments. In this recorded interview from May 28, 2008, Scott relates many of the successful strategies he and WOSC technology director Kent Brooks have employed the past three years to help instructors redesign their courses to integrate identified best practices for distance learning and blended learning, as well as the pivotal role which relationships and peer coaching have played in the learning revolution underway at Western. WOSC is a state leader in the utilization of Moodle as an open source learning management system, and continues to innovate with many other open source and web 2.0 technologies to help improve opportunities for learning. Scott is leaving WOSC to accept a new role at the K-20 Center at the University of Oklahoma this summer, and will continue to support collaborative learning as well as pedagogic change in the K-12 school districts working with the K-20 center to implement customized versions of its IDEALS framework. Oklahoma is lucky to have passionate, innovative, and dedicated educators like Scott Charlson helping other instructors and teachers “make the change” from 19th and 20th century paradigms of instruction to more learner centered, engaged models of learning focusing on student media products and digital interaction.
- Western Oklahoma State College (WOSC) Online Learning Standards of Excellence
- Western Oklahoma State College
- Scott Charlson’s homepage at WOSC
- Scott Charlson’s profile page on the Celebrate Oklahoma Voices Learning Community
- The K-20 Center at the University of Oklahoma
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- June EdCamps in Woodward, Oklahoma (June 10) and Andover, Kansas (June 13) - 2014
- Creating Innovators in a Common Core World - 2012
- Learning at Uhaul.com? - 2010
- The Importance of Telling the Stories of Your Photos - 2010
- Whitelist for next week's OKCPS Tech Day Presentations - 2009
- Educational vendors supporting Linux? - 2009
- Transparency of coursecasting comes to kindergarten - 2008
- links for 2008-05-29 - 2008