This podcast is a recorded interview with Tom Fryer discussing the transfer of wealth opportunities which exist for schools and other nonprofit organizations in our communities. Tom is one of the 2008-2009 trustees of the Manhattan Community Foundation (in Manhattan, Kansas) and an advocate for educational efforts focused on estate planning which include giving to community foundations as well as nonprofit organizations via endowments. According to the Kansas Association of Community Foundations, $66 billion will be transferred from one generation to the next in the state of Kansas by 2020. If only five percent of those dollars could be set aside, that would equate to $3.3 billion being available as endowed funds for Kansas schools and other nonprofit organizations in Kansas communities in the next 12 years. The transfer of wealth (TOW) opportunity is not limited to Kansas, this is a nationwide phenomenon and opportunity. Educational leaders and other community advocates need to be both aware of and proactive about their local TOW opportunities, and partner together to allow local citizens to give back to their communities via local endowments. In contrast to one-time gifts which have a limited impact, endowments supported by community and school foundations can create and leave a positive legacy which can benefit a community in innumerable ways for years to come. Virtually everyone involved in U.S. public education today faces funding shortfalls for worthwhile programs. Community / school foundation advocacy and partnerships can help address these funding shortfalls and open up superb opportunities for learning which otherwise may be impossible for students and teachers in our schools.
- Greater Manhattan Community Foundation (Kansas)
- Greater Manhattan Community Foundation Announces Wealth Transfer Research Nearly $5.9 Billion Potential in Riley County
- Millionaires and the Millennium by John J. Havens and Paul G. Schervish (PDF format – Boston College Social Welfare Research Institute – October 1999)
- Kansas Association of Community Foundations (includes Transfer of Wealth Research and Overview)
- Kansas Health Foundation (provides matching funds for some educational foundations in Kansas)
- Boston College Center on Wealth and Philanthropy
- Nebraska Transfer of Wealth Study (1999)
- Wisconsin Transfer of Wealth Study (2006)
- Nebraska Community Foundation
- The 2008 Rural Philanthropy Conference page (Nebraska: 10-12 September 2008)
- Endow Nebraska: Building a Brigher Future for Generations of Nebraskans
- HomeTown Competitiveness: Providing Tools and Training to Help Small Towns Thrive (from the University of Nebraska – Lincoln)
- Donors Forum of Wisconsin: A professional membership association for grantmakers in Wisconsin
- RUPRI Center for Rural Entrepreneurship: Our mission is to help leaders and citizens in rural communities and regions across the U.S. embrace entrepreneurship as a core rural economic development strategy.
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Drawing is an Act of Attention - 2012
- Media Literacy & Critical Thinking Test: Water Mountaineering - 2011
- Schools must be data informed: NOT data driven - 2010
- Lessons learned webcasting over Ustream with a Nady wireless microphone - 2009
- Watch the space shuttle launch live today! - 2008
- High speed WiFi? Please give me available bandwidth details! - 2008
- Herrrrrrrrrrrrre's Dean! - 2007
- Welcome Dean Shareski - 2007
- Praise for the NASA Digital Learning Network - 2007
- Blog comment problems here? - 2007