In line with the spirit of the developing Storychasers project, I’ve created a six minute documentary about yesterday’s free community barbeque in Dalhart, Texas, offered as part of the festivities for the annual XIT Rodeo. As they have for the past 72 years, community volunteers prepared nine thousand pounds of barbeque meat with all the fixins’ to feed a crowd of twenty thousand which converged on this small, west Texas town for a special weekend of great food, good times and outstanding rodeo action.
On the subject of barbeque, you might also check out my favorite episode from NPR’s “This I Believe” show and podcast titled, “There Is No Such Thing as Too Much Barbecue.” I have to say that after yesterday’s experiences at the XIT barbeque, I believe in barbeque myself more than ever!
I recorded a thirty minute interview with my mother-in-law yesterday sharing her remembrances of XIT and growing in Dalhart, Texas, which I will also edit and publish soon. Learn more about the XIT Rodeo and Reunion on the event’s official website, the XIT Museum’s website, and on the WikiPedia entry for XIT Ranch. My post from Friday night, “Storychasing the 2008 XIT Rodeo and Ranch” also provides some additional background.
Mmmmm, I’m hungry for more barbeque already!
Please support my STEM classroom Donor's Choose project: "Applying STEM Skills with Robotic Sphero Balls. Use the promo code INSPIRE at checkout to double your donation (up to $100) thanks to a match from DonorsChoose.org.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Learning About Physics and Four Fundamental Forces on YouTube - 2013
- Educational Podcasts from Blackfoot Educational Technology Conference (August 2012) - 2012
- High Stakes Testing Damages Student Writing Skills - 2011
- Google Earth as a Transformative Tool for Teaching within Content Domains - 2011
- Visualizing Tornados in Oklahoma City with Google Earth - 2011
- FREE METC 2010 Online Conference available now through August 27th - 2010
- A VoiceThread on Hawaii Adventures - 2009
- Clarifying perceptions about digital social networking risks - 2007
- 1:1 computing is a moral imperative in education - 2007
- 1:1 projects, test scores, and sea change - 2006