In line with the spirit of the developing Storychasers project, I’ve created a six minute documentary about yesterday’s free community barbeque in Dalhart, Texas, offered as part of the festivities for the annual XIT Rodeo. As they have for the past 72 years, community volunteers prepared nine thousand pounds of barbeque meat with all the fixins’ to feed a crowd of twenty thousand which converged on this small, west Texas town for a special weekend of great food, good times and outstanding rodeo action.
On the subject of barbeque, you might also check out my favorite episode from NPR’s “This I Believe” show and podcast titled, “There Is No Such Thing as Too Much Barbecue.” I have to say that after yesterday’s experiences at the XIT barbeque, I believe in barbeque myself more than ever! 🙂
I recorded a thirty minute interview with my mother-in-law yesterday sharing her remembrances of XIT and growing in Dalhart, Texas, which I will also edit and publish soon. Learn more about the XIT Rodeo and Reunion on the event’s official website, the XIT Museum’s website, and on the WikiPedia entry for XIT Ranch. My post from Friday night, “Storychasing the 2008 XIT Rodeo and Ranch” also provides some additional background.
Mmmmm, I’m hungry for more barbeque already! 🙂
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Book Recommendations from Stacy Nelson - 2015
- Learning About Physics and Four Fundamental Forces on YouTube - 2013
- Educational Podcasts from Blackfoot Educational Technology Conference (August 2012) - 2012
- High Stakes Testing Damages Student Writing Skills - 2011
- Google Earth as a Transformative Tool for Teaching within Content Domains - 2011
- Visualizing Tornados in Oklahoma City with Google Earth - 2011
- FREE METC 2010 Online Conference available now through August 27th - 2010
- A VoiceThread on Hawaii Adventures - 2009
- Clarifying perceptions about digital social networking risks - 2007
- 1:1 computing is a moral imperative in education - 2007