This is strange and I don’t have an explanation. Since December 2007 (Podcast209 to be exact) I’ve used the PodPress plug-in for WordPress to do several podcast-related things including generate an approximate total “count” of the downloads to each of my podcasts. PodPress counts the times website visitors start the playback of a podcast in their web browser using the PodPress mp3 flash player. (It’s impossible to tell if people listen to all of a particular episode, just if they start the playback.) I use the PodPress-generated URL for each podcast in FeedForAll for Mac to also count downloads from people who subscribe to my podcast via different podcatcher and aggregator programs. I have used PodPress for several years, but didn’t use the PodPress-generated mp3 URL in my Feedburner podcast channel feed until December.
Around 3 pm today, I noticed that the total number of PodPress recorded downloads of the podcast I published yesterday was over 3000. This is very unusual for my podcast channel, because most episodes now cap out at around 1000 total downloads. There are some exceptions to this (the interview with my 10 year old about Travian from December has been downloaded over 5200 times now) but generally the most popular episodes cap out around 2000 downloads. These are my PodPress stats for the most recent episodes:
I am wondering what would account for this spike in downloads for my last two podcasts? Feedburner doesn’t update stats until the next day, but my Webilizer stats don’t show a huge spike yet in downloads for those particular files. Strange.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Remove distracting Apple TV icons - 2014
- Learn About Lightspeed Mobile Manager - 2014
- Technology Integration for Common Core (Velma, Oklahoma Presentation Resources) - 2013
- Podcast393: Reflections on UnPlug'd 2012 with David Truss & Gail Lovely - 2012
- Evernote as a Syncable, Offline Database for High School CX Debate Evidence - 2011
- Thoughts on video annotation and 1:1 computing - 2007
- Podcast179: Podcasting in the Elementary Classroom - A Conversation on EdTechTalk - 2007
- Use your school phone dialer to share podcasts with parents! - 2007
- Talking about podcasting with elementary students - 2007
- Update on "Invent the Future" After School Club / Scratch Programming - 2007