In this video Anastasia Goodstein talks about her book, Totally Wired: What Teens and Tweens Are Really Doing Online, and gives us the scoop on Judy Jetson, MySpace, IM, LJ, and the always-on digital lifestyles of today’s Gen Y student.
As you listen to Anastasia, think about how teens use technology and social media in their “real life” versus the way they are using (or not) using technology in the classroom. Immersed in the digital world outside the classroom when Gen Y goes to school, they are more often than not, stuck in text dominated classrooms.
She also stresses the need for educators (and parents) to provide students with the skills they need to assess the onslaught of information and ability to evaluate the credibility of resources on the web.
Anastasia has a wealth of research to share about the wired lives of teens. This short video is a good opportunity for anyone who works in education to gain a better understanding of the totally wired world of today’s students.
- Anastasia Goodstein >Totally Wired
- CBS News: Gen Y & Technology
- Gen Y: Growing up and sharing (way) too much
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Recording and Sharing Your iPad with In-Person and Remote Learning Students - 2020
- To-Do and Task Manager Options - 2014
- Images and Thoughts From Back to School Night - August 2011 - 2011
- Starting the School Year Off Right with a Faculty & Staff Lip Dub - 2011
- $15 fine for cell phone use during class - 2010
- Goodreader: A great way to read PDF eBooks (like David Warlick's latest) on an iPad - 2010
- Two worthy quotations on leadership and passion - 2009
- Thinking conservatively about public WiFi security and Smartphone tethering - 2009
- Missing mobile alert in GMail - 2008
- Teachers.tv: Kids, Social Safety & Digital Literacy - 2008