In my presentation “Get Wiki with It” today at EncycloMedia 2008 in Oklahoma City, session participants brainstormed different ways educators can and are using wikis to support learning inside and outside the classroom. This was our list:
1. Connect with parents through publishing student work
2. Homework groups with kids (ask questions)
3. Share lesson plans with other teachers and links
4. In lieu of a faculty meeting 🙂
5. Write a new school song collaboratively, brainstorm ideas
6. Put websites for articles students need to read, and then discuss it together online
7. Post homework assignments and makeup work for absent students
8. Schedules and calendars
9. Collaborative projects with other classrooms in the US or outside
10. Book reviews!
11. Science journaling
12. Study guides for the test
13. Science fair presentations
14. Collaboration to plan fundraisers or other activities
15. Diary of a science experiment
16. Literature response podcasting or video publishing
17. Book talks
18. Literature circle
19. RSS feeds for kid friendly publishing (let parents subscribe to updates)
20. Posting projects
For chronological publishing, like a regular journal or science experiment diary, I suggested a blog might work better than a wiki. But a wiki could still be used!
I’m about to publish the audio recording from this session as a podcast. This was a fun presentation to share! 🙂
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Beyond the Bake Sale: Building Social Capital in our Schools by Dean Shareski - 2013
- AT&T Unlocked My iPhone4 Today - 2012
- Streamlining Blog Post Submissions with TDO Forms on WordPress - 2011
- Visual Literacy, Talking with Images and Curiosity Amplifiers - 2011
- Podcast357: Options for Saving and Trimming Online Video to Your Local Hard Drive - 2010
- Educational TED Talks at #learning2cn - 2010
- Education 3.0: A Framework for Change in Teaching and Assessing 21st Century Skill by Andrew Thomson - 2009
- School Administrator Questions about 21 Century Learning - 2009
- Best Practice WiFi Networks in Schools - 2009
- Our 21st Century Challenge: Developing Responsible, Ethical and Resilient Digital Citizens by Robyn Treyvaud - 2009