I need a good book recommendation for a chapter book I can read with my eight year old daughter in the evenings. Sarah really hasn’t discovered a genre of books she loves and enjoys thoroughly yet. She did read the first Harry Potter book on her own this summer, but I think she read it more because her brother and parents all have read and enjoyed it. She’s a very good reader on her own, and can read with great expression, but I don’t think we can say she’s really fallen in love with a particular book or book series yet. I’ve read several different book series with Alexander (Narnia, LOTR, Eragon and Eldest, Dragonsong and the other two books in Anne McCaffrey’s Harper Hall Trilogy) but have not yet read a full chapter book with Sarah yet. My first thought was E.B. White’s “Trumpet of the Swan,” but my dad read that to her last summer. I want to remedy this inequity of not having shared, evening chapter book reading experiences together, but I’m not sure what we should read.
Any suggestions for us? This will be a bedtime book that I’ll read aloud to her over the course of many weeks.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- FREE Hour of Code Webinars with Wes - 2013
- MinecraftEDU Beginner Challenge: Craft 10 Basic Tools with Wood and Stone - 2013
- AudioBoo Websites and Ports to Unblock on Your School Internet Content Filter - 2012
- K-12 Online Conference 2011 Closing Live Event: The Afterglow! - 2011
- An Exemplary Elementary Computer Lab Setup, Website and Lesson Plans - 2011
- Choose mobile learning devices instead of IWBs - 2010
- Learning More about Chrome OS - 2010
- Web-based Video Transcoding - A Beautiful Sight! - 2009
- Encouraging community conversations about digital learning skills and school reform in Colorado - 2008
- Differentiated instruction and digital storytelling - 2008