I need a good book recommendation for a chapter book I can read with my eight year old daughter in the evenings. Sarah really hasn’t discovered a genre of books she loves and enjoys thoroughly yet. She did read the first Harry Potter book on her own this summer, but I think she read it more because her brother and parents all have read and enjoyed it. She’s a very good reader on her own, and can read with great expression, but I don’t think we can say she’s really fallen in love with a particular book or book series yet. I’ve read several different book series with Alexander (Narnia, LOTR, Eragon and Eldest, Dragonsong and the other two books in Anne McCaffrey’s Harper Hall Trilogy) but have not yet read a full chapter book with Sarah yet. My first thought was E.B. White’s “Trumpet of the Swan,” but my dad read that to her last summer. I want to remedy this inequity of not having shared, evening chapter book reading experiences together, but I’m not sure what we should read.
Any suggestions for us? This will be a bedtime book that I’ll read aloud to her over the course of many weeks.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- FREE Hour of Code Webinars with Wes - 2013
- MinecraftEDU Beginner Challenge: Craft 10 Basic Tools with Wood and Stone - 2013
- AudioBoo Websites and Ports to Unblock on Your School Internet Content Filter - 2012
- K-12 Online Conference 2011 Closing Live Event: The Afterglow! - 2011
- An Exemplary Elementary Computer Lab Setup, Website and Lesson Plans - 2011
- Choose mobile learning devices instead of IWBs - 2010
- Learning More about Chrome OS - 2010
- Web-based Video Transcoding - A Beautiful Sight! - 2009
- Encouraging community conversations about digital learning skills and school reform in Colorado - 2008
- Differentiated instruction and digital storytelling - 2008