Last year, in December 2007, I was fortunate to be a digital witness— attending and helping document the events surrounding the dedication of the USS Oklahoma Memorial on Ford Island in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. This evening, I’ve been working on a family DVD for 2007 (yes, I’m a year behind) and ran across several video clips to include on the DVD which I have not previously posted online. Some of these videos were shared as video podcasts during our actual week in Hawaii last December, but some were not. Here are five video clips I posted this evening from that trip.
This 2.5 minute video is a recording of some narration beside the USS Missouri, on Ford Island in Pearl Harbor, on December 3, 2008. This was recorded prior to the videoconference I helped facilitate with USS Oklahoma survivors and Oklahoma students on December 6th.
This 4 minute video features interviews with Claremore, Oklahoma Junior ROTC Students recorded on 3 December 2007.
This six minute video includes excerpts from the actual USS Oklahoma Memorial Dedication on 7 December 2007:
Because it is longer (17 min, 19 sec) I uploaded the video “Interviews with USS Oklahoma Survivors on 5 December 2007″ to Google Video instead of YouTube. (YouTube rejected it since it’s over their 10 minute maximum length. Update 25 April 2013: Before Google Video shut down I cross-posted this to YouTube. My account by then had been authorized for uploads longer than 15 minutes.) I included the following description with the uploaded video:
A series of interviews with survivors from the USS Oklahoma and others prior to the USS Oklahoma Memorial Dedication on December 7, 2007. These interviews were conducted by Dick Pryor and recorded by Boots Kennedy. I was part of team sent from Oklahoma to help document and share this historical event. This footage was shot and edited in Hawaii and sent via FTP back to OETA. I am not sure if any of this footage was used in actual news programs by OETA or other channels or not.
This final video titled “A 25 hour travel saga: Honolulu to Oklahoma City in December 2007″ (9 min, 16 sec) is a collection of thoughts and reflections following this trip to Hawaii, recorded in the airport in Minneapolis as well as Dallas as our team journeyed back to Oklahoma just in time for a good ‘ole midwest ice storm. Yes, the temperature difference between Honolulu and Minneapolis WAS 71 degrees! Yikes! In this video, I also attempted to connect our problem solving experiences on this trip with our need for PBL in schools!
Previously posted media regarding the USS Oklahoma Memorial includes:
- Podcast214: Surrender of the Japanese to the United States Aboard the USS Missouri (a retelling in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii)
- Five Flickr photo sets saved as a single Flickr collection for this trip
- The VoiceThread “USS Oklahoma Memorial and Ford Island”
- The VoiceThread “Videoconferencing From Pearl Harbor”
- Our videoconference video with survivors and students in Oklahoma, shared as three different video segments
hawaii, fordisland, navy, oklahoma, uss, memorial, dedication, videoconference, students, claremore, rotc, interviews, veteran, oralhistory, youtube, googlevideo, video, digitalstorytelling, storychasing
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Help Ricky Wyatt's Family on Tues Dec 30th: Eat at S&B Burger in Norman, OK - 2014
- A Day of WordPress Website Updates - 2014
- The 2014 EdTech Crystal Ball Webcast: Sat Dec 28, 2013 - 2013
- Deleting Foursquare and Personal Privacy Boundaries - 2013
- When Photo Date Meta Info is Handy - 2011
- Virtual K12 Enrollments in White Oak PS, Oklahoma - 2010
- Apply to become an Apple Distinguished Educator in 2009 and ACOT2 - 2008
- Fun with a Gore-Tex diagram - 2007
- Conference blogging and next year's personal / professional development - 2007