Several days ago I tweeted:
does anyone else wonder if sites like http://tweetree.com are just harvesting userids and passwords? We should be wary of sites like this
My sentiment for that tweet is confirmed by Cliff Ravenscraft’s post “Warning Twitter Users! Do Not Use Twply.com!” from today. Cliff writes that when users login to Twply:
… if you click “Yep, go ahead!,” without notifying you, the service LOGS INTO YOUR TWITTER ACCOUNT and makes a post ON YOUR ACCOUNT saying “Just started using http://twply.com/ to get my @replies via email. Neat stuff!”
Not only are you providing your Twitter userid to the owners of Twply, you are also giving them your password and potentially permission to post AS YOU on Twitter. Users beware.
I know it is painful and not fun, but it is also a VERY good idea to change your Twitter password frequently AND use secure passwords. Not a message I’m sure you wanted to hear today, but none-the-less it is an important one. These are all important aspects of media literacy and digital citizenship!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Workflow Publishing 30 Normalized Conference Audio Recordings - 2016
- #WhatIf My Ideas on School Reform Become Reality? - 2015
- Lego Stopmotion: Voldemort Meets Gandalf - 2014
- Faculty Require Mastery of Content and Skills - Not Just Technology Use - 2011
- Beautiful Transmediation Example: How To Be Alone - 2011
- Accessing Citrix from Ubuntu - 2010
- Categorizing web 2.0 sites by function - 2009
- Join Darren and other K12Online Conveners today LIVE on Manitoba radio and online - 2009
- Don't be awed by enhanced access to administrative academic data - Look for pedagogic changes instead! - 2009
- Vitae guidance on presentations? - 2008