This podcast features a recording of the January 2, 2009, live morning radio show interview in Winnipeg, Manitoba, on CJOB|68 with Darren Kuropatwa, minus the news and advertisement breaks. The conversation focused on Darren’s utilization of scribe posts by his Calculus and Pre-Calculus students at Daniel McIntyre Academy in Winnipeg, the imporance of numeracy as well as literacy, and the power of online learning communities to support as well as motivate students inside and outside the classroom. Darren was joined in this series of interviews by Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach, Dean Shareski, and Wesley Fryer, who along with Darren are co-conveners of the free and global K-12 Online Conference. K12Online is an online conference for teachers, by teachers, amplifying the possibilities for using digital technologies as well as online learning communities to support engaged learning. Mark Rabena, one of Darren’s former students also joined in our discussions. Many thanks to radio program host Richard Cloutier for sharing these stories with radio listeners around Manitoba as well as the world! We had about 35 educators in a backchannel chat room (via Chatterous) discussing these conversations, listening to the radio program live as it was streamed over the Internet. Kudos to Darren not only for his outstanding leadership for educators in his school and nation, but also for his work in bringing about this mainstream media radio interview in Canada. I hope this is the first of MANY more mainstream media interviews we’ll see in the months and years ahead about the K-12 Online Conference and the innovative ways digital technologies are being used by educators like Darren to engage students in the learning process.
- A Difference – Blog of Darren Kuropatwa
- The K-12 Online Conference
- Student Mark Rabena’s posts to the AP Calculus AB (2007-08) blog
- CJOB|68 Radio in Winnipeg, Manitoba
- 21st Century Learning – Blog of Sheryl Nussbuam-Beach
- Ideas and Thoughts of an EdTech – Blog of Dean Shareski
- Moving at the Speed of Creativity – Blog of Wesley Fryer
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Family New Years Green Screen Video - 2016
- Why National Geographic on the iPad is Amazing - 2013
- Podcast365: Leadership Lessons for 1:1 Learning Projects from Leslie Wilson (The One-to-One Institute) - 2011
- Free 1 Year Bible on YouVersion - 2011
- Learning from Angela, Kern and Konrad - 2010
- Netbooks or eBook Readers for Students? - 2010
- Skype Virtual Guest Speakers and Collaboration wiki - 2009
- Resurrecting old conference notes before the days of blogging - 2009
- Paraphrased quotations from today's radio interviews in Winnipeg, Manitoba - 2009
- Encourage hands-on science inquiry! - 2008